Built in the late 1800's, my studio is home to great history & memories. A childhood dream was realized when I opened my boutique style photography studio loft in this unique space filled with character. The space combined with our location in the quaint downtown area of Hudson, WI offers the capability for custom photography sessions indoors in addition to personalized on-location sites. My signature portrait style consists of simple,

yet strong composition resulting in images that are both honest and highly emotive. Foregoing stiff poses and forced smiles, I interact with subjects in such a way that unveils their distinct personalities. This approach combined with exquisite attention to detail provides for a comfortable and relaxed photo session and extraordinary images.

RSS

Everyday Photos

Considering I work full-time as a photographer it will probably come as no surprise to my readers that I have quite a few photos of my own kids.  Although I must admit it’s not as many as you might think.  Sometimes I have to remind myself to pick up the camera and document my own family every now and again as it’s easy to let my gear rest in its case when I’m not working.  On top of that I tend to be very critical of my photos and when I’m shooting my kids it’s often random chaos in less than ideal shooting conditions.  Thankfully, I’m learning to take off my professional photographer hat when documenting my family and I just do the best I can with what I have.  In other words, I guess I’m beginning to embrace imperfection and appreciating the photos for what they are.  For several years I had a collection of photos stored in boxes in my basement.  As the boys grew, so did the pile of boxes!  I  knew I needed to find a solution so my photos didn’t sit stored in my basement or on my computer until my boys graduated from high school and I was forced to do something with them.   After spending quite some time thinking through how I wanted to preserve our family photos I decided to move forward with albums for each of the boys.

Some of you might wonder why I wouldn’t choose a digital album like the books I create for my clients.  Truth be told, I came very close to choosing this as an option. However, there is something so nostalgic for me when I look back at old family photos of my own.  I’ve loved having hardcopy prints over the years and I especially love when there is a handwritten note accompanied by the photo.  For me there is something significant about passing down photographs and handwritten notes from generation to generation and it’s a tradition I’d like to continue with my boys.

I often find myself having conversations with clients and friends when they ask how they can preserve their own everyday photos so I thought I’d take some time to share what I’ve found works for me. In the photo above you’ll see I use 12 in x 12 in We R Memory Maker Linen Albums for my boys.  These 3-ring style binders hold a variety of clear plastic photo sleeves designed to hold an assortment of photo sizes.  I use both We R Memory Maker photo sleeves along with some Project Life pages.  When I take personal photos I store them in a folder on my computer and every two months or so I go through and print the pictures I’d like to include in their memory books. Then it’s simply a matter of putting the photos in the sleeves and jotting down a few details on a journaling card.  You can buy journaling cards at most on-line and brick-and-mortar scrapbook stores or create and print your own.  I’ve also created a set of printables (shown below) that you can download for FREE HERE.

Now, having said that I will tell you that often times when we are out and about and I’m without my camera I have to rely on my iPhone and Instagram.  Over the past year I’ve built quite a collection of photos and I am planning to put those images into a softcover digital book printed through Artifact Uprising.  This really makes it so I have the best of both worlds knowing that my boys will have hardcopy printed photographs along with a digital album filled with fun family memories captured on the fly.

I’d love to hear about how you preserve your everyday family photos.  Feel free to leave a comment below!

22 Comments Recorded

• Doreen Guilfoyle says:

Love your PL cards! TFS!

• Chung Nguyen says:

Love this idea! Thank you for sharing all of your resources. :)

• Jen says:

Just found your site :) Love the cards, glad to find another Wisconsin PLer!

• Kerrie says:

LOVE these cards! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

• Anja says:

Wow, love your cards! I’ll definitely use them for my PL. Thanks for sharing!

• Vanessa says:

What gorgeous journal cards! Your blog is beautiful and very inspiring. Thank you for sharing your talent! :)

• Laurie says:

Love the cards! Thank-you for sharing!

• Cari says:

Thank you so much for sharing these cards!

• Doreen Guilfoyle says:

Just found your blog on a FB page listing PL freebies… LOVE your thoughts and your cards are amazingly elegant. Love them! Thank you for sharing. I am a scrapbook consultant with Close To My Heart and jumped on the Becky Higgins Project Life bandwagon during her presale a few years ago and it has CHANGED my life! LOL My photos now are PRINTED and journaling accompanies each photo in a Project Life book that my family can enjoy every day… instead of 20,000 digital photos on my laptop that no one ever sees. While I still scrapbook the traditional way with paper and embellies, I LOVE PL for providing an easy to use, easy to peruse way of documenting our every day life. :-) All of our children will certainly appreciate it, years from now. :-)
    ~doreen at http://whereisyourhappyplace.blogspot.com

• These are just great! Neutral enough to work with every design, but beautiful enough to bring flair to my pages!

• Pingback: Project 2013 : March 25-31 | travelscrapsleeprepeat

• Amy says:

Thanks for the cards, they’re fabulous! :)

• Yin says:

Oh your PL cards are so lovely, thanks for sharing! I too combine digital scrapbook pages/books with hardcopy PL memory keeping and love them all.

• Anon says:

these cards are great! thanks

• Janka says:

They are lovely! Thanks so much!

• Jen says:

These are fabulous!!!

• lea says:

• Marilyn says:

Love the elegant simplicity of these. I agree with Birgit! Thanks for sharing these. What is the best way to print these without a Photoshop program?

• KathyinMN says:

thank you for creating and sharing these, they are lovely

• Pingback: {My Happiness Project} Project Life - Digi Pocket Page Layout Freebie - Sunshine Inspired Designs

• Fernanda says:

I’m in love with your cards! Thanks!

• Colleen says:

thanks for the very nice cards. I really enjoyed your sharing your process, what albums and product you use, etc. Real life :)

I used to traditional sb, then went digi, then went on a 5 year hiatus, and am now starting again with PL. I can’t begin to think of all the past 5 years worth of photos, so am picking a great trip to start with.

CE

Record a Comment

Explore

Enter a keyword or phase below to search for blog posts we have written in the past.